After a weekend of disrupted travel plans, I’m struggling to decide whether everything happens for a reason.
Did Mount Puyehoe in Chile spew it’s volcanic ash simply to foil my weekend away? If I am to believe that everything happens for a reason – then what was it?
I arrived in Auckland (en route to Melbourne) prepared for the possibility of delay. The delays turned to cancellations and after five of them I decided it was time to chuck in the towel, cut my losses and return to Wellington. A four-day break in Melbourne morphed into a three-day break in Auckland.
I’ve rationalised this event to find the positive.
- I got to spend time with my future extended family getting to know them better. Schlepping around pyjama-clad and mug in hand in the morning breaks down all sorts of barriers!
- I made friends with Ruby the dog and Daphne the cat.
- I got to spend time with an old school friend renewing very close bonds we shared many years ago.
- I got to know the Auckland streets a little better even though I still refuse to drive there.
- I enjoyed time with my lovely lovely daughter and her equally lovely fiancee.